Bolts...Engine to Mount

Maintenance, parts and services related to Cessna 120/140's

Moderator: Moderators

Bolts...Engine to Mount

Postby Blair Barwick » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:31 pm

Does anybody have a source for new bolts to mount a C-85 to the Engine Mount....?
Putting on a new engine ( O-200 STC'd ) and want it to stay attached ..*S*
Thanks in advance.
Blair Barwick
Blair Barwick

Re: Bolts...Engine to Mount

Postby Randy L. Thompson » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:00 pm

The O-200 uses different mounts and bolts than the C-85. They are Lord type with lord type rubbers and special washers. The same as the Continental powered Cessna 150's use.
Randy L. Thompson

Postby Blair Barwick » Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:03 pm

Clarification....

Still the C-85 engine...
It's the "Crankshaft 0-200 mod STC"....
Same mount and attachments....

thanks
Blair Barwick

Postby Mike G. » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:25 am

I just bought a whole set from Univair.

Steel yourself, it's going to cost. But this is one place you don't want to skimp.
Mike G.

Postby Scott » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:31 am

You might also try El Reno Aviation in Oklahoma. Very knowledgable group.
Scott

Postby Mike Smith » Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:39 am

Okay Blair no problem.

You haven't mentioned what type of C-85 you want to install, a -12F or 14F. If you have a 12F you will utilize AN6-34 bolts for the lower and AN6-46 for the Upper. You can purchase those from Aircraft Spruce at $1.92 ea for the -34's(you'll need two), and $2.98 for the -46's(you'll also need two). You will also need the associated washers, nuts, and cotter pins, you can get those from Spruce also, check the p/n's in your Cessna parts book. As for engine mount bushings you can order the J3608-1 Lord Mount bushing at $12.50 each or the Continental Bushing At $1.53 each. Both are avail from Spruce(you will need eight). Not too bad

Mike
Mike Smith

Postby Mike G. » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:04 am

I stand corrected on the costliness, the other Mike's pricing is right.

When I bought my engine mount stuff I also bought prop mount bolts. Then, in my mind I lumped the whole bunch together and tried to forget about it as soon as possible.

Prop mount bolts, now THERE'S a pricey purchase but that's another whole story.
Mike G.

Postby Blair Barwick » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:30 pm

Thanks All...
Mike , I appreciate your thoroughness.
This IS a great site an a great organization.
Blair Barwick
Blair Barwick

lord mounts...so can they be used or not? cataloge says yes

Postby 1AM » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:26 pm

both types are listed in most places I look as
useable on 120/140's with c-85. HELP!
1AM

Re: lord mounts...so can they be used or not? cataloge says

Postby Mike Smith » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:15 pm

1AM wrote:both types are listed in most places I look as
useable on 120/140's with c-85. HELP!

Your call. Lord mounts are priced as complete units, while the Continental bushings/rubber cups are priced individually (eight(8) are required). Lord mounts will cost you approx $100 for the eight that you need. They are supposed to be somewhat better that the Continental style rubber bushings, I think that may be a matter of preference. Look at a parts manual and determine the hardware that goes with the bolts. Add the cost of all the hardware (ie washers, bolts, nuts, cotter pins, etc.) and the cost of the cups/brushings. You will probably come out more economically with the Continental type bushings, but someone may make a post saying they've had better longivity and less vibration with the Lord units. Your call, I recommend to see what someone else might post pertaining to this matter. Hope this helps.

Mike
Mike Smith

mounts

Postby 1AM » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:59 pm

Thanks Mike...will I be able to re-use the bolts if I choose the lord mounts, or will I need different lengths?
1AM

Postby Mike Smith » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:08 pm

You should be able to, but call Aircraft Spruce and ask for someone that can answer a techincal question concerning your subject(normally the individual who answers is a sales person, and doesn't know about the technical issues). If memory serves correct, I think that you can use the same hardware, but a call would answer that for sure or someone may post with the correct answer.

Mike
Mike Smith

Postby 1AM » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:30 am

Mike,
one more thing....what is the p/n
or dimensions of the spacer that goes inside
the 22378 (Continental) bushing? I need 4 of them. The ones I pulled out were worn...but they also seem a bit long. They were tight up against the washers(showing wear from the spacer). I was wondering if someone had installed the wrong length and therefor not being able to tighten the rubber bushings properly.
Thanks,
Mike in Tulsa
1AM

Postby Mike Smith » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:31 am

Don't know about the p/n for the 140, but for the 140A with an Cont 85, the cessna p/n is 0450195. Suggest that you e-mail Randy Thompson(his e-mail address is listed in the Market Place of this site under jack pads for sale). Randy owns several STC's concerning the engine, and he rebuilds and installs them in these aircraft. He will be able to answer you correctly, and inform you where to obtain them from.

Anyone out there know the answer to this gentleman's question?

Mike
Mike Smith

Postby 1AM » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:52 am

Mike,Thanks for all your help. I did find that p/n as well yesterday and verified the specs and had a machinist make some for me yesterday out of stainless. (I told him they were for my lawnmower :wink: ).
They are available for about $16 each. Installed all new parts yesterday evening...torqed to spec per the book. hope to fly vib-free this evening.
This site is a gold mine. Promotes the right way to do things....the safe way. Thanks again.
Mike in Tulsa
ps...I did buy one of Randy's jack pads...EXCELLENT!
1AM

Return to Cessna 120/140 Technical Support